Sunday 18 April 2010

Back to School

My Hypnotherapy and Counselling books
 One of the main reasons I decided to come home was because I felt a strong urge to study again.  I really did enjoy teaching a lot, but felt it wasn't fulfilling my purpose in life.  After months and months of procrastinating, I finally came to the conclusion of something that may fill that gap:  Hypnotherapy and Counselling.  Although I originally studied a music degree at university, and I do still have a great passion for music, I feel that I don't want it as the core of my working life (part-time would be nice!).

There are many reasons I have chosen these subjects, but primarily I feel that having a job where you can actually make some sort of a difference to somebody's life is incredibly meaningful.  Also, from my experience of teaching at Web, I have found that I am most comfortable working with either one person or with small groups of people.  This, along with a list of other reasons, has brought me to studying Hypnotherapy and Counselling.  I have now started both courses and am finding them greatly interesting, and even exciting -- especially the Hypnotherapy course.  A huge variety of problems can be successfully treated with this therapy, from anxiety and addictions, to phobias and obsessive compulsive disorder.  The feeling of having it done -- and doing it -- is by itself a worthwhile experience.  Many people believe that you are actually asleep while under hypnosis, but this is a myth.  The best way I can describe it is that of the short period of time when you are just about to drift off to sleep; still consciously aware, but relaxing into the first stage of sleep.   Once the session is over you feel so very relaxed, but also refreshed and ready to do anything.  

At the moment I couldn't be enjoying these classes more, I can't wait for the next ones (I wish school could have been more like this).  I have even finished all of my homework assignments long before I needed to.

Now, I just need to find a job to continue funding the courses....    

9 comments:

I.S said...

It's great that you challange yourself. Way to go!

Christopher said...

Thank you I.S! I just felt like it was a gap in my life that needed filling. It's such an interesting area of study, I can't wait to learn and share more.

Hope things are going well with you too :)

Crystal Tao said...

Do you study about Milton Erickson?

Christopher said...

Hi Crystal! Yes we are studying Milton Erickson, in fact my next class is going to be all about him and his techniques.

I'm also reading a book about him right now (the green one called "My Voice Will Go With You"). Really intriguing. How do you know of him? Do you study psychology or another similar subject?

Jenny King said...

It's great that you're enjoying your course! Sounds fascinating as well!!

Christopher said...

Thanks Sunny Sweet Pea :)

flyingfish said...

Congratulations on your fresh start! You know, lots of people find that a break from school is just what they need to whet their appetites and give them the focus they had been seeking. And nothing prepared you for returning to your studies than a stint as a teacher!

I should know; I taught at Beijing Normal University between college and grad school -- though actually, now I think of it, "REFRESHED" isn't quite the word I'd choose to describe they way I felt embarking on the new challenge. But sometimes it works that way.

Anyway, it is very exciting to learn about the doors your studies are opening for you. Sleep itself may "knit up the ravell'ed sleeve of care," as the man said, but it sounds like the knitting-up is just the beginning.

Onward and upward! Keep us posted!

Christopher said...

Hi Flyingfish, that's exactly how I felt. After a couple of years of no studying I finally managed to think about what I wanted to do!

Haha, yes, refreshed may not be the word to use after teaching in China, but it certainly pushed me to do this now.

Thank you for still checking back onto this blog. I'll certainly keep you posted!

Mabelp said...

Go ahead, Chris! Your course sounds interesting and meaningful, I bet you will help as many people as you can. As for your passion for music, can you be a part-time trumpet player in an orchestra there? Haha!