Tuesday 30 September 2008

Summer Is Over, Typhoon Is Coming

It's officially Autumn now. Over night a few days ago the temperature fell considerably, and for the first time in three months I didn't need my fan or air conditioning on last night. I actually found it quite uncomfortable and couldn't get to sleep straight away because of it. I've become so accustomed to the drone of the fan at night, I just couldn't relax in the silence, it felt like there was something missing.

Not only has it cooled down a little, but a typhoon is also apparently approaching. Typhoons are fairly common occurrences here, since I moved to Wenzhou in late March I think we have had four. Depending on how they hit, they can be very hazardous. I remember one in early August shut down most of the city for an afternoon. We were even sent home early from work (bonus). With them, they bring incredibly powerful wind and torrential rain. Yesterday the mild effects could be seen and felt with an umbrella-breaking wind and a spattering of rain. I don't know if it will be getting worse or not, it all depends on the direction it takes today (we can look here to check it's progress). Typhoons do have one good effect on the city: they blow away all of the air pollution. Yesterday and today may be one of the clearest days I have ever seen in China. From my balcony I can see the mountains that surround Wenzhou in magnificent detail, it's slightly grey and cloudy but I'm quite sure I've never seen them like this before.

View of the mountains in the distance from my balcony

Today is the begining of my holiday, which is a great relief. I exchanged my days off with Ryan at work because he wanted to go to Shanghai over the weekend. Now I am cashing in on these days and getting an extended holiday which will certainly give me enough time to recharge my batteries. My colleagues, Kimi, and I are all going to Xiamen tomorrow (if the weather doesn't force us to cancel that is), apart from the long bus journey (7-8 hours) I'm quite looking forward to it. I will post an account of the trip when we return.

No comments: